Improving literacy and education worldwide
Darien Book Aid Plan
Information for US Peace Corps Volunteers Requesting Books
If you would like to request a box of books, please write a letter (preferably by email, but also accepted via standard postal mail), telling us about your work, your students (if you are a teacher) and how you intend to use the books. When using email, put your letter in the body of an email, not as an attachment, to Peggy Minnis at BookAid@aol.com.
In order to arrange a books shipment, DBA needs to know the following:
1. That you are a PCV, with a paragraph or two about your work and book needs
2. Your COS date
3. The ages of your students, if the books are intended for student use
4. The US grade reading equivalent of your readers
5. Your mailing address, in English. If you use non-Roman characters, be sure to include that version of your address.
6. Your phone number there. We need to put this on the label.
7. The types of books you would find most useful. We normally send between twenty and thirty pounds of books, so keep that in mind when you create your wish list.
In order for our volunteers to take an interest in filling your request, it helps to provide them with that initial paragraph or two about you and your work. They like to know who you are, where you are and what you are doing. Good writing always pays off with a more accurate filling of your order. This does not have to be an essay, just a couple of paragraphs.
Once I get that information, I can type up your request. Remember that Book Aid is an all-volunteer organization, so the speed of our response to your request depends upon the generosity of our volunteers and books donors.
If you are sending a request by regular mail, send it to:
Peace Corps Desk
Darien Book Aid Plan, Inc.
1926 Post Road
Darien, CT 06820 USA
Overseas shipments go via the most cost effective method available at that time and can take between three weeks and three months. The packages are stamped "Used Books, No Value," so there should not be a problem with customs. Shipments to US Zip-coded Pacific Islands go via the USPS Media Mail and may take a little longer.
Book Aid normally sends about 25 pounds of books, so send the list in the order of priority. If you absolutely need only a class set of a book, tell us the genre you want since we can seldom supply an exact title. It takes up to 6 months to receive your order.
If you would like the teachers at your school to request the books themselves, please have them e-mail Kitty Graves atDarienBookAid.International@gmail.comor see information for institutions requesting books.