If you wish to make a financial donation, you may send a check, made to:
Darien Book Aid Plan, Inc.
1926 Post Road
Darien, CT 06820 USA
Please make a donation. Any amount helps. $50 sends a box of donated books to a developing country..
Donate through PayPal.
Ordering books off our wishlist is easy, fast & ensures that you are donating a much needed book.
If you wish to donate books, please make sure they are in good condition (without highlighting or underlining). Read the list below to see if they will meet our needs. To leave off your donation, you can pull up to our door and drop them off in the lobby (open 24 hours a day) at:
Darien Book Aid Plan, Inc.
1926 Post Rd.
Darien, CT 06820
These are the kinds of books we can use:
- Children's Books: for all ages - preschool to young adult, fiction and non-fiction
- Classics and simplified classics
- Short Story Collections
- English readers and grammar books
- Teaching Methods
- English as a Second Language books and materials
- Books in Spanish or French for native speakers in all subjects -- children and adult titles
- Spanish/English and French/English dictionaries
- Crafts/Home Arts: sewing, cooking, knitting etc.
- DIY books: carpentry, masonry, auto repair etc.
- Construction/Industrial Arts
- Health, any and all types
- Textbooks: High School and College -- no more than 5 years old
- Computer and IT training: recent titles only
- Business, Banking, Finance, Accounting.
- Agriculture, vegetable gardening, beekeeping, animal husbandry
- Ecology and environment
- Reference books: Dictionaries, atlases -- no more that 10 years old
- National Geographic Magazines - no more than 5 years old
When donating books to us, please think about what would be interesting, helpful and culturally appropriate to children and adults in the developing world who are learning English and developing skills to improve their lives and countries. Keeping that in mind...
these are some of the types of books we cannot use:
- Large format coffee table books
- Diet books
- Magazines other than National Geographic
- Damaged books
- Textbooks for learning a foreign language (French, Spanish, German etc.)
Please do not ship books to us unless you receive prior approval.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. I am cleaning out my parents' house and would like to donate the books to Darien Book Aid. When can I leave them?
A. We accept used books in excellent condition at all times in our lobby, but please read our “books we can use” list to make sure they fit our needs.
Q. Our organization had a tag sale. Would you like the leftover books?
A. If the books are in excellent condition and fit our needs as outlined in “books we can use” we would love to accept them.
Q. Will I receive a tax donation receipt for my donated books?
A. Yes you will. Pick up a form in the plastic pocket on the wall near the door, fill it out and put it though the mail slot in the door. We will mail you a receipt for your tax records.
Q I live nearby. What should I do with the books that you cannot use?
A. The following libraries accept donations at all times for their fundraising book sales:
Ferguson Library, Stamford
Norwalk Public Library
Wilton Public Library
Westport Public Library
Pequot Library, Southport
Q. I live in Ohio and have a box of books I’d like to donate. Will you pay for shipping?
A. We recommend you find a local program for your donation. Our entire shipping budget goes to fill requests.
Q. I can get gift cards from Amazon and Barnes and Noble with my frequent flyer points. Can you use them?
A. Yes. We can use them to purchase books in subjects where our inventory is low.